Sunday, February 23, 2014

Goldilocks and the Three Bears Unit

February has been so much fun! We are focusing on Goldilocks and the Three Bears story. Our district requires that we collect AEPS data on all our students at least once per year and has recently adopted the AEPSi (online scoring and data system). So I try to incorporate some of the key skills from the test into my monthly units. Goldilocks unit seemed like the perfect way to practice sequencing and especially WH- questions with the kids. I have been using the WH- question book to help my students practice answering questions.http://youtu.be/aTWY5TZuBnI
 
I got the template from Boardmakershare.com, here is a video of a teacher using the book:

Here are a couple of other activities I created for this unit:

Tracing pages
Goldilocks and the Three Bears color book
(Parent volunteers underline color words using color pencils)
I try to make a couple of little sight word readers like this for every unit. Students learn various skills with the help of these including word-to-word correspondence, sight words, reading left to right, and many more. In addition, it helps students who are learning to communicate  practice using more words in every utterance.

WORD WALLS! I create one for every unit that I teach. Below is the small version of the Goldilocks unit word wall which is meant for the writing center. Word wall has many uses in my classroom. We usually go over the vocabulary words at the beginning of the unit and often go back to review. We also sort the words by beginning sounds and number of syllables.



No comments:

Post a Comment